FOOD BEHAVIOR EMOTIONS AND HEALTH
FOOD BEHAVIOR EMOTIONS AND HEALTH
WHAT POSITIVE PARENTING TEACHES
HEALTHY NUTRITION POSITIVE PARENTING TECHNIQUES
- [_]# 3 Realistic expectations
- [_]# 5 Managing feelings
- [_]# 7 Teaching how to solve problems
- [_]#10 Praise good behavior
- [_]#12 Set good healthy habits
- [_]#27 Planned activities
VIDEOS ON POOR NUTRITION & CHILDREN'S CHALLENGES:
- 5 YEARS OLD:
- JAYLEN'S SLEEP APNEA & WEIGHT
- 12 YEARS OLD:
- BRIANA BULLIED BECAUSE OF WEIGHT
As a result of poor nutrition health challenges may include:
- [_] ADD
- [_] headaches
- [_] fidget
- [_] illness
- [_] low tolerance
- [_] easy agitated
- [_] over-active
- [_] restlessness
PROBLEMS AT DAYCARE AND SCHOOL
- [_] eat the same healthy foods you are serving your children
- [_] don't reduce the natural sweetness of vegetables by over-cooking
- [_] add vegetables to pizzas
- [_] add vegetables to pastas
- [_] offer vegetables with hummus
- [_] offer vegetables with salsa
- [_] offer the new food 15-20 times, it may take that long, so be patient
- [_] don't make the favorite meal after they refuse to eat what you have prepared
- [_] don't bribe with offering desserts
- [_] maintain a consistent routine with meal times
- [_] maintain a consisten routine with snack times
- [_] cut back on snacking between meals & snack times and only offer water
SHOPPING AS AN EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
- [_] help your child enjoy their food by allowing them to help you with the grocery shopping
- [_] teach your child how to read food labels with the fooducate scanner
- [_] pick the right types of stores to take your child shopping with you.
- [_] avoid stores that have a lot of aisles of colorful processed foods like the ones seen on commercials.
- [_] plan a trip with them to go with you to the farmer's market where there's plenty of fruits and vegetables to choose from
- [_] make sure your child has had their nap before leaving so that they are well rested
- [_] eat at home first, so that you and your child are not hungry
A child is happier about food when they are involved in meal planning and preparation. This also gives them a sense of personal power over their bodies which allows for parent-child cooperation during meal time.
- [_] look at recipes on websites
- [_] pick out pictures in recipe books or magazines
- [_] read recipe books
- [_] picking out recipes
- [_] picking out veggies and fruit at the market
- [_] rinsing the fresh produce
- [_] tearing up greens for a salad
- [_] mixing the ingredients for the salad in a big bowl
DOWNLOAD THE FOODCATE APP TO YOUR CELL PHONE TO SCAN PRODUCT LABELS
The www.fooducate.com application helps to educate parents and youth on foods to avoid by grading its nutritional contents as well as determine if the product is vegetarian, vegan, and/or contains soy, GMO products, hormones, artificial flavors, or dyes, etc.. By using your cell phone camera as a "Health Tracker" scanning the barcodes on the food labels while shopping, increases ones healthy nutritional awareness. Fooducate is a tool to make better decisions regarding food choices.
CHECK YOUR CABINETS: FOODUCATE GRADING SYSTEM: NUTRITION AND INGREDIENTS
Food labels in your cabinets can be scanned with your cell phone to check how healthy your everyday products are. Using this app is a good way to determine if your child's behavior is associated with the artificial or highly processed foods they are receiving. Some children may have to be off of products for 3 weeks for a difference in behavior to be noticed. Keep a behavior chart daily that includes a space to write a food diary.
- Food Additives mimic human hormones
- VIDEO: Soy Products & Health Risks
- The Dangers Of Soy
- Fruits And Vegetables
- Meat And Fish
- Fast Foods
On Site Event Consultations $10 per 5 minutes
*(workshop students who signed attendance sheet: $10 per 10 minutes at time of event)
SOCIALIZING OUR YOUTH BUILDING FAMILY HEALTH & EDUCATION
CHARTING: CHILD & ADULT BEHAVIORS
Double click on image for clarity and to enlarge
- [_] prepackaged foods
- [_] caring about nutrition is judgmental
- [_] using nostalgia to sell you junk food
FOOD, ADDITIVES, CHEMICALS, DYES AND BEHAVIOR KNOWLEDGE BREAKS THE SPELL OF IGNORANCE: THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
Use media programs saved on youtube, on demand, and commercials as a resource for teaching your children lessons about products being sold as food. The conversations become very open as parents view the T.V. families as lessons and not just entertainment, but edutainment. Parents begin to relax and reflect on whats going on in their own homes, without feeling ashamed to ask questions or make a statement.
- [_] talk about diseases that are related to food with your child
- [_] obesity
- [_] diabetes
- [_] high blood pressure
EARLY SEXUAL BEHAVIOR: FOOD PRODUCTS AND CATEGORIES
BPA: It’s widely known that bisphenol-A (BPA), an endocrine-disrupting chemical... Lesser known is the fact that BPA is also used to make BPA resins, which keep metal from corroding and breaking. It coats about 75 percent of cans in North America, which means if you eat canned foods, it’s likely a major source of BPA exposure for you. In one study, eating canned soup for five days increased study participants' urinary concentrations of BPA by more than 1,000% compared to eating freshly made soup!
Atrazine, a pesticide that is applied to more than half the corn crops in the United States, atrazine causes sexual abnormalities in frogs, and could cause the same problems for humans. Tyrone Hayes, Scientist, of the University of California, Berkeley, discovered a widely used herbicide may have harmful effects on the endocrine system THE
ENDOCRINE SYSTEM & REPRODUCTIVE GLANDS:
Reproductive Glands The gonads are the main source of sex hormones. Most people don't realize it, but both guys and girls have gonads.
In guys the male gonads, or testes (pronounced: TES-teez), are located in the scrotum. They secrete hormones called androgens (pronounced: AN-druh-junz), the most important of which is testosterone (pronounced: tess-TOSS-tuh-rone). These hormones tell a guy's body when it's time to make the changes associated with puberty, like penis and height growth, deepening voice, and growth in facial and pubic hair. Working with hormones from the pituitary gland, testosterone also tells a guy's body when it's time to produce sperm in the testes.
A girl's gonads, the ovaries (pronounced: OH-vuh-reez), are located in her pelvis. They produce eggs and secrete the female hormones estrogen (pronounced: ESS-truh-jen) and progesterone (pronounced: pro-JESS-tuh-rone). Estrogen is involved when a girl begins to go through puberty. During puberty, a girl will experience breast growth, will begin to accumulate body fat around the hips and thighs, and will have a growth spurt. Estrogen and progesterone are also involved in the regulation of a girl's menstrual cycle.
EARLY SEXUAL MATURITY AND MILK: IS EARLY SEXUAL MATURITY A BAD THING HEALTHWISE?
By Robert Cohen Executive Director
...These girls of the twenty-first century are maturing earlier than last generation's children, and something is very different about their womanly physical attributes and behavior. Could there be a food link to this mystery?
Concentrated milk in the form of increased cheese consumption means that concentrated hormones are being consumed. Every sip of cow's milk contains 59 different bioactive hormones, according to endocrinologist Clark Grosvenor in the Journal of Endocrine Reviews in 1992. Milk has always been a hormonal delivery system, providing nursing infants with nature's perfect food for the young of each species.
Thousands of studies published in respected peer-reviewed scientific journals report that lactoferrins, immunoglobulins, and hormones in human breast milk provide enormous benefit for nursing humans. In other words, hormones in milk work to exert powerful effects. Each species of mammal has a different formula.
Cow's milk contains hormones, and nursing on cow's milk will deliver these hormones to the human body. As a little girl becomes a big girl, then a mature woman, she will naturally produce in her lifetime the equivalent of only one tablespoon of estrogen. Hormones work on a nanomolecular lever, which means that it takes only a billionth of a gram to produce a powerful biological effect. Should little girls be encouraged to pop estrogen, progesterone, and prolactin pills each day? If they drink cow's milk, that is just what they are doing. If they eat cheese and ice cream, they ingest concentrated forms of these hormones.